Saturday, May 31, 2014

Memories of Grandpa Stanton

MEMORIES OF GRANDPA (as collected and told by James F. Stanton, III) at James F. Stanton, Jr.' s funeral:


Benjamin
Grandpa taught me how to work and I worked beside him. He taught me about sports, how to fight, how to hunt, wood working in his shop, about the birds and the bees, how to shave, to be respectful to my mom, sisters and other women and a love of God and his son Jesus Christ. He counseled me about my studies and finances. 

Danylle
Every time we came to visit, Grandpa would pull out Brigadoon because it was my favorite movie and we would pop popcorn and watch it together. When I was about 9 years old he gave me my very own copy. When I was in nursing school I interviewed Grandpa for a paper on Geriatrics. I got an A on the paper and my instructor wrote in the margins that she was laughing out loud at the answers Grandpa had given and how honest they were. I love the way my Grandpa was with my children. They love him so much.

Joshua Becker
A hundred memories, it is hard to pick one. The most lasting memory I have of Grandpa is when I was little and we were spending a holiday at his house and he and I were in the front yard and a man walked by with a backpack on. Grandpa invited the man into the house and fed him and visited with him before he went on his way. No matter what they were doing grandma and grandpa stopped and visited when I showed up. They fed me, listened to me, and loved me. Their example taught me that family is the central and most important thing.

Brittny
I always trusted my grandpa. He took me on daddy daughter dates, gave me blessings and took me to park city to stay in the condo. He encouraged me to be my best and develop my talents. He taught me to paint and to face my fears and struggles especially with dyslexia. Grandpa was the one who baptized me. I loved grandpa's big arms and how they always made me feel so safe. I had great joy when he told me he liked my husband and that he was from good stock.

Chelsea
I can’t put a lifetime of memories into a line or two. There are so many, going to Park City and stopping to watch the planes glide, or to see the buffalo. Going to Ferron and having Grandpa take me out shooting, or to the top of Indian Fort. Riding in the back of the truck to the reservoir, or picking asparagus out of a ditch to make for dinner. Grandpa, always giving me fathers blessings, and getting upset with me if I thought I wasn't smart. Laughter, togetherness, stories...Lots of stories. But most of all LOVE. Every time I was getting ready to leave, Grandpa would always say. "You are my greatest blessings!" So in one line, my favorite memory of Grandpa is LOVE.

Jocelyn
Punch you in the nose tickle you in the belly. Awesome hugs and kisses Only 10 cherries or you'll get sick Asking every time he saw me when I was pregnant with Declan, how I was feeling, and saying; I am praying for you and that sweet baby everyday. Priesthood blessings at the beginning of every school year. Every time I cut his hair he would say, "you know the difference between a good haircut and a bad one...2 weeks

Sarah
My best memories of grandpa is the way he loved grandma. There was never a doubt in my mind grandma was his whole world, and their marriage is the best example to me. Then seeing grandpa's strength, testimony and positive attitude after grandma died, just showed me what an amazing man my grandpa is.

Amber
One of my favorite memories I showing grandpa my pretty painted toenails and him telling me that they were not pretty and only the so called "whores" in Park city painted their toe nails when he was growing up. I loved his talks that we had and all the good advice that he would give.

Aaron
Terra and I were visiting Grandma and Grandpa and John was telling us a story of a first date he had. He said that he picked up the girl and went and got scones. Grandpa then asked, "did I hear you correctly? You went and got stoned?" We all had a good laugh. That is one of my favorite memories of grandpa.

Joshua McAtee
I caught my first fish with grandpa. He told us stories like when he was a miner and about the glass sacrament cups he had. He showed us his miner hat and many other treasures of his past and told us about them and why they were important to him.

Daniel McAtee
Building two of my pinewood derby cars - Going fishing at the little pond up Spanish Fork Canyon - Him telling me about his mining experiences at Park City - going home teaching with him - going to the doctor to get his new leg and seeing him walk on it without any help - Taking him up to Park City and going to his old house on Woodside - Taking him to his family reunion out past Strawberry and to the family reunion at Park City

Joseph
Leafing through Grandpa's movie book to find the perfect classic film, eating prunes and dried apples, listening to Grandpa give the back story on the actors and actresses in the movies.

Ryan
Going to BYU games with grandpa when I was a little boy and spending the night at the house. Once I wanted to cheer for the other team - Grandpa told me not to. Onion sandwiches, pickled pigs feed, and peppered eggs that put hair on your chest. Grandpas'' talks about how proud he is of his grand kids. His expressions of love.

Trent
Some of the memories about Grandpa would be he always built us wood boats during the summer to float down the ditch, hunting for rocks around Ferron and spending time in Park city with Grandpa looking for rocks and golf balls.

Kimberly
Once when we were playing hide and seek, someone (I think it was Jaren) knocked over one of Grandpa's stone lions and it broke. Grandpa loved those lions and we were petrified to tell him what had happened. But instead of getting mad, he just gave us hugs and told us that he loved us more than the lions. He glued it back together later and that lion has always reminded me of how much Grandpa loved his grandkids.

Jaren
Grandpa was always making us grand-kids toys. In the summer it was wooden boats to play with in the ditch he would help us dam up. Later, in the fall when the chestnuts fell, we would collect them and grandpa would drill a hole in each one so we could make chestnut necklaces.

Kyle
Over the past few years I would go to grandpa's house between work and school and we would talk about life and he would tell me stories. One of the things he would always say is the six points you should agree on with someone you marry. The last time I saw Grandpa was the Sunday before he died and he again told me about the six points of marriage and I think they are all true. He also told me several stories. I always loved hearing his stories even if they were repetitive.

Rebecca
When I was in high school grandpa and I would have high kick contests and grandpa would usually beat me by kicking the top of his front door post. I was always amazed by his agility and determination.

Rachael
One of my favorite memories of Grandpa is when we went hiking down near Ferron and looked for Indian pottery. He inspired my love of history. I also loved watching him work in his workshop and racing the little wooden boats in the ditch.

Kathryn
One of my dearest memories of Grandpa Stanton is watching him paint. I remember him setting up his easel while camping and working on his most current project. When I got older, whenever I would stop by to visit he would always make sure I was working on my drawing and painting. I always loved that I had his support and encouragement.

Stephanie
Once when I got hurt, Grandpa held me on his lap and sang the "Doggy in the Window" song to comfort me. I also remember him telling me more than once that if I ate the skin from the baked potato, I would grow hair on my chest... As though that would be a good thing! 

Cami
One of my good friends once told me that Grandpa was an "American Classic" and that they don't make them like that anymore. Grandpa and I have always shared a love of history and archaeology. I loved talking to him about his collection of archaeological finds. Before I graduated from college Sunnie and I went with grandpa and grandma on a road trip down to hole in the wall. One of the stops we made was to an old Anasazi Indian site and walked around the little museum there. It was great trip and I enjoyed spending time with him. I also loved our movie nights and his wealth of knowledge for the classics. Grandpa's ability to actually live his testimony will always be with me. In fact the last time that I saw grandpa there are two things that I will remember: one was that he demanded a hug and he told me he loved me, two was that he was really excited to Go to church and pay his tithing. His example will forever influence my life

John T. Lund
I will miss working with grandpa in his shop and going to him for advice on whatever creative projects I'm working on. And watching old movies with grandpa will always be a favorite that I will cherish.

Sunnie
When I first moved to Utah for college I was excited about all the opportunities I would have to spend time with my extended family. However, I’ll admit I was a little intimidated. While I knew all of these cousins, aunts and uncles, second cousins, great aunts, friends adopted into the family and so on, I didn't really know them. At one of my first family gatherings, I found myself standing in a corner not quite sure where to go. I spotted Grandpa sitting on a couch and made a beeline for him. For the next hour or so, we talked about our favorite war movies, laughed at our own jokes and he would answer all my whispered inquiries about who was who. While I eventually found my voice in our family, I will forever be grateful for Grandpa’s ever welcoming presence. He was my pillar, my constant as he has been for so many of us. I always knew there was a seat on his couch and a place in his heart just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment